Questions to Ask Before Marriage
Questions to ask your significant other
Do you want children?
Do our core values line up?
- How many and what is your time frame?
- What is your parenting philosophy?
- What responsibilities do we each have in raising our future children?
- How will having children change our relationship dynamics?
What is your general philosophy on money?
- Are we religiously compatible?
How well do you think we handle conflict with each other?
Where will we live after we get married?
Do we have any "baggage" that we still need to deal with?
- How will we handle our finances? Separate or joint accounts?
Are you willing to put the marriage relationship above everything else?
How do you think we'll divide responsibilities in our relationship after we're married?
Do our long term personal and career aspirations line up with each other?
- Are you over your past relationships?
- Do you have any addictions that you are dealing with?
Do you have any major health issues that might affect our relationship in the future?
- Where do you see us in 5,10, and 20 years from now?
Questions to ask yourself before you get married
Am I ready to settle down in a life long relationship with one person?
Do I respect this other person?
Why do I want to get married?
Do my family and friends approve of my significant other? If not, why not?
Do I have any "baggage" that I still need to deal with?
Is this other person open and honest with me?
- Does this person respect me and treat me well?
Do I need more time to get to know this other person before marriage?
Am I ready to become part of my significant other's family and circle of friends?
Is this person my best friend or on the way to becoming my best friend?
- Do I trust this other person completely?